(Many historic buildings reside throughout the County, many of the Town's can be found in the Downtown Guide and the Walking Tour found at the Historical Society 540-948-5488)
Madison County Court House
This brick structure was built in 1829-30, replacing a log building of 1793. The federal brick work has been declared some of the finest in America. It is also an historic landmark with a plaque describing the history behind the building.
Madison County Library
Also known as the Thomas W. Lewis House, this structure was built in 1852. In addition to serving as a home for the Lewis family, the building was also used as a Methodist Parsonage. In 1967 it was renovated to serve as the county's library.
The Eagle House: Originally a tavern, this house was constructed in the latter part of the 1700's and was known as the Washington Tavern and Carpenter's Tavern. A beautiful walnut bar still graces the English basement. After 1877, the house became a private residence and still serves that function.
Elim Plantation (now Inn at Meander)
Was established in 1726 and the
buiding predates 1740 although completed as one sees it today by 1766
minus the front portico.
The Kemper Residence - (next to County offices 414 N Main Street, Madison, VA 22727)
Home of James Lawson Kemper, one of central Virginia's most prominent attorneys and politicians. He moved here with his family in 1865. Kemper represented Madison in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1853-1863, serving as Speaker for the final term, fought in the Mexican War, held the rank of Major General in the Confederate Army, and was badly wounded in Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. Kemper served as the first southern-born post Reconstruction governor of Virginia from 1874-1878.
The Arcade - also known as The Historical Society
Hoover's Camp (Shenandoah National Park)